Kelly LeCouvie, Ph.D.
Areas of Expertise
- Family & Corporate Governance
- Succession & Continuity Planning
- Leadership Development
- Policy Development
Continuity of a business through generations is not a ‘natural evolution.’ But with purposeful, focused effort, where family members unite on a desired long-term goal, they can own successful continuity.
- Family Business Board Evaluations: Content, Process and Board Dynamics – Part 2
- Family Business Board Evaluations: Value, Types & Process – Part 1
- The Value of Diversity in Governing Family Enterprises
- Risk Management: A Multi-Faceted Challenge
- Co-CEO Structure: Are Two Heads Better than One in a Family Business?
- A Planning Guide for Transforming your Company’s Board of Directors
- The Competitive Advantage of Culture in a Family Business
- Don’t Think of it as ‘Succession Planning…’
- Family Business Succession: Your Roadmap to Continuity
- The Leverage of Kindness
- Women, Communication, and Leadership
- The Non-Strategic Value of Directors
- Conditions for the Successful Management of BIG Change
- Creating a Harmonious Board
- Enabling Incompetence Among Family Employees: Good Intentions Gone Awry
- A Woman’s Place: The Crucial Roles of Women in Family Business
Kelly LeCouvie, Ph.D.
Kelly is a senior consultant with The Family Business Consulting Group. She works primarily in two areas of governance: corporate governance, which includes the development and assessment of corporate boards, and family governance, which includes the development of structures within the family that facilitate effective and sustainable decision making across generations. She has worked with clients in multiple industries based in North and South America, Europe, Asia, the Middle East and the Caribbean.
Kelly has worked in an advisory capacity with her family’s 65-year-old logistics company, and has personally experienced the joys and challenges of family members working together. Prior to returning to school to obtain her Ph.D., she founded and managed a securities business in Toronto for several years.
As a faculty member at the Schulich School of Business, York University, Kelly teaches strategy. She is the author and co-author of three books, two on family business. Kelly regularly speaks at conferences to a wide variety of audiences on corporate and family governance structures, family policy development, management of organizational change, and strategic leadership.
- Undergraduate degree in Economics
- MBA in Finance
- Ph.D. in Organization Behavior
Kelly and her husband live in Toronto Canada, enjoy travelling and spending time with family.