Stephen L. McClure, Ph.D.
Areas of Expertise
- Succession & Continuity Planning
- Family & Corporate Governance
- Multi-generational Continuity
- Family Employment & Careers
- Sibling Partnerships & Cousin Generation Success
- Family Constitutions & Protocols
- Shareholder, Family, Management & Board Alignment
- Leveraging Challenges to Drive Continuity Planning Opportunities
- Family Business Continuity: Unplanned Paths to Success
- Manage Change Better in Your Family Enterprise
- Ready or Not, Here it Comes! How to Manage Change in Your Enterprising Family
- What Do Family Councils Do?
- To Select or To Elect? Decision-Making Methods for Family Member Roles in Family and Business Governance
- Should We Separate the Chair and CEO Roles in our Family Business?
- 15 Lessons Family Councils Wish They Knew Before They Started
- Conflict in Land-Based Family Businesses
- Find the Best Independent Directors for Your Family Business
- Getting Non-Operating Shareholders Appropriately Involved
- Filling a Board Vacancy: Using Gap Analysis to Capture Opportunities
- Employing Family Members as Vendors and Suppliers
- The Job Description of Mom
- Developing a Philosophy of Compensation
- Mentoring Successors in Family Firms-An Interview with Jack Pychik
- Family Education through Roles in the Business: Getting Buy-In From Key Non-Family Managers
- Transitioning from Family Leadership to Non-Family CEO: Best Practices for Maintaining a Family Enterprise
- Should Spouses Work in the Family Business?
- Sharing Family Resorts, Cottages and Lodges: Part 2
- How to Succeed in a Family Business
- Scheduling Family Meetings: A Surprising Lightening Rod for Family Conflict
- “Houston, We Have a Problem” with Family Pay: How Do We Fix It?
- Graceful Exits: The Art of Board Revitalization
- Family Business Succession: 15 Guidelines
- Toward Greater Objectivity on your Board
- Sharing Family Cottages, Lodges and Resorts: Part 1
- Leadership of a Family Council: Directive Leader or Servant Leader?
- A Family Council: A Renegotiation of Relationships
- Next Generation Development with a Mentor Team
Stephen L. McClure, Ph.D.
Steve is a principal consultant of The Family Business Consulting Group specializing in making family-owned a competitive advantage. In doing so, he assists with family communications and decision making, succession planning and implementation, and governance and management in family firms.
His work often involves family and non-family employee teamwork, implementing advisory boards or boards of directors, family councils, successor development and management practices, such as compensation and strategic planning, tailored to family firms. His clients are primarily in North America and include financial services, manufacturing, philanthropic, distribution, construction, retail, agricultural, textile services and professional services (i.e., family offices and trust companies); all operated or owned by families.
Steve has taught business continuity planning and family business management and governance to retail networks of international manufacturers, clients of law practices, international trade groups, business advisors, and to the members and owners of family businesses, both domestically and internationally. An innovator in providing unique services to private businesses, his articles on consulting methods appear in three volumes of collected works.
He is the co-author of books on family business succession, family councils, compensation and working in a family business. He’s regularly quoted in the media and is a frequent speaker on family business topics.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Behavior, Purdue University