Change is the only constant in business, and this is doubly true in family enterprise where both the business and family evolve over time. Change can be effective, gradual and fully supported by the family, owners and management, or it can be disruptive and leave resentment and cut-offs. Managing change well is important to building family alignment, commitment and continued progress towards shared goals.
During this one-hour program, Steve McClure and Wendy Sage-Hayward will share experiences of families that have found themselves in times of significant change. They will also discuss the valuable lessons from those who have well-managed succession, transition to non-family leadership, engaging the family in family governance, formalizing business governance, and more.
Important themes include:
- Key types of change that family enterprise leaders will want to manage well
- What makes change difficult for the individuals involved and how to create a successful transition
- Beneficial change tactics for families to navigate difficult transitions
- How to gauge your family’s progress through the stages of change
- 15 Lessons Family Councils Wish They Knew Before They Started
- Solving the Puzzle of Ownership Alignment in a Family Enterprise
- Undiscussables: Dealing with the Elephants in Family Business
- Leveraging Change to Achieve Continuity
- Conditions for the Successful Management of BIG Change
- Embracing Change and Honoring the Past: The Challenge of Family Business
- A Family Council: A Renegotiation of Relationships
You can also access hundreds of in-depth articles written by our team that address the unique challenges faced by family enterprises from communication and conflict to succession and continuity. Visit our Article Library.
- Family Meetings: How to Build a Stronger Family and a Stronger Business
- How Families Work Together
- The Family Council Handbook: How to Create, Run, and Maintain a Successful Family Business Council
- When Family Businesses are Best: The Parallel Planning Process for Family Harmony and Business Success
- Human Resources in the Family Business: Maximizing the Power of Your People
- Building a Successful Family Business Board: A Guide for Leaders, Directors, and Families
Services for Building a Stronger Family and a Stronger Business
How do we help bring your family into alignment? The process begins by understanding the various aspects of the family and the business, including family dynamics and history, vision, mission, and culture as well as the structures of ownership and governance that interact with these systems. From there, we start to determine where the biggest opportunities are to establish agreement on key issues around the business, as well as what areas of education and facilitation will help equip shareholders to be effective stewards of the family’s legacy.
To learn more about how organizing and educating the family can support family enterprise success, please contact us at email@example.com or 773-604-5005.