Areas of Expertise
- Business and Family Governance
- Ownership and Leadership Succession
- Peer Group Facilitation
- Top Leader Mentoring
- Strategic Planning Facilitation
How wonderful for families and employees, customers and communities when family enterprises thrive for generations.
- How Family Enterprise Owners Can Prepare for the Creation of a Board with Independent Directors
- Why Would a Family Business Create a Board with Independent Directors?
- The Importance of Independent Board Members
- The Role of Board Evaluations in a Family Business
- What Makes for a Great Family Business Board?
- Family Business Ownership Succession: Learning from Others
- Leveling Up Your Family Business Board
- Succeeding at Succession
Rob is a senior consultant for The Family Business Consulting Group, helping enterprising families with business ownership and leadership succession, creating and improving family business fiduciary and advisory boards, planning and facilitating family and family council meetings, and guiding strategic planning processes.
Prior to joining FBCG, Rob spent 33 years in multi-generational family business leadership. Initially in brand management at SC Johnson for several years, he went on to become Chairman and CEO and of Sligh Furniture and Clocks, a 4th generation manufacturing and marketing company with a majority-outside board of directors.
He served on more than 20 family business fiduciary or advisory boards and non-profit boards. On many of those, he served as Chairman of the Board and / or Chairman of the Compensation, Finance or Nominating Committee.
Rob is particularly experienced in family business board development. Years after creating a board, family owners often say it’s one of the best decisions they ever made. Having experienced multi-generational succession in his own family business and countless others, Rob is skilled at facilitating ownership and leadership succession processes.
He’s an experienced facilitator of peer-group meetings for family enterprise Chairs and CEOs. Rob facilitates family meetings and strategic planning retreats, as well as mentors both new and experienced NowGen and NextGen leaders.
“A New Day for Businesses and Boards” in Private Company Director Magazine
- National Association of Corporate Directors
- Private Directors Association
- Young Presidents Organization
- MBA degree, Boston College
- BSBA degree, University of Denver
Rob first met Jorie at a sailboat racing regatta. They’ve been married for 37 years and have four adult children. They still enjoy sailboat racing.