Areas of Expertise
- Family Enterprise Continuity Planning
- Ownership Development at All Ages
- Family Enterprise Governance
- Communication & Conflict Resolution
- Building a Learning Family: Why Collective Ownership Development Matters
- Own It! How to Develop a Family Enterprise Owner’s Mindset at Every Age
- Developing a Family Enterprise Owner’s Mindset
- Building a Multidisciplinary Advising Team for Your Family Enterprise
- It’s Not You, It’s My Family’s Business: Where to Start with Cohabitation, Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements
- Manage Change Better in Your Family Enterprise
- Ready or Not, Here it Comes! How to Manage Change in Your Enterprising Family
- Solving the Puzzle of Ownership Alignment in a Family Enterprise
- Human Resources in Family Business: Maximizing the Power of Your People
- Understanding Profitability in the Family Business
- Managing the Complexity of Human Resources in Family Firms
- Managing Risk in the Family Enterprise: It’s More than Financial
- Risk Management Conversation Starter
- Undiscussables: Dealing with the Elephants in Family Business
- The Status Effect: How Ego Plays Out in Family Firms
Wendy is a senior consultant at The Family Business Consulting Group, working closely with business leaders, family firms and boards. She brings deep knowledge and perspective to global clients across sectors, leading conversations with multi-generational families on governance, family enterprise continuity, leadership, next generation preparation and conflict resolution. She is especially adept at establishing integrated governance structures for the family, business and ownership systems that promote alignment, communication and harmony within and across these constituencies.
Wendy is an owner in her family’s winery called Sage Hayward Vineyards which is located on one of BC’s Southern Gulf Islands. She also spent over 20 years as a partner and director of her family’s 130+ year-old U.S. firm where she helped lead approximately 50 cousin partners from the third through sixth generations. Her background and experience with her own family business motivated Wendy to dedicate her career to the needs of family enterprises as a consultant, educator and author.
Wendy is the Academic Director at Family Enterprise Canada (FEC), an organization focused on education and research related to family enterprise continuity. She’s a Lead Instructor for FEC’s Family Enterprise Advisors (FEA) program, a role that ensures she brings a sense of objectivity and fairness to tricky issues at the intersection of family, business and ownership. She works with business families every day, including her own, helping them navigate the challenges of operating, governing and transitioning their enterprises.
As an educator, Wendy is an adjunct professor at the University of British Columbia’s Sauder School of Business, where she leads programs for business families in the Business Families Centre. Previously, she taught board dynamics in the Director’s Education Program for the Institute of Corporate Directors at the University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management. She also taught programs to both families and rising generation members at the Cox Family Enterprise Center at Kennesaw State University.
Wendy is co-author of the two books: Human Resources in Family Business: Maximizing the Power of Your People, a definitive work on family firm HR strategies and tactics; and Own It! How to develop an owner’s mindset at every age, an invaluable resource focused on ownership development. As a sought-after speaker, she has presented on a range of family business topics at North American conferences including the CALU, Family Enterprise Canada’s Symposium, Family Firm Institute, Transitions East, Business Transitions Forum and the Canadian Bar Association of BC.
- BarOn Emotional Quotient Inventory (EQ-i)
- Ethical Fitness
- Insights Discovery
Education & Designations
- Master’s Degree in Family Systems Counseling Psychology, University of British Columbia
- Executive Master’s Degree in the Neuroscience of Leadership, Neuroleadership Institute
- Director’s Education Program at the Institute of Corporate Directors (ICD.D)
- Family Enterprise Advisor (FEA) from Family Enterprise Canada
- Family Firm Institute (FFI) Fellow
- FFI GEN Program (CFWA)
- Newfield Network Organization Change Coaching Program
Wendy lives in Vancouver, British Columbia with her family and regularly spends time on Saturna Island.