Business families require effective leadership throughout the system to fulfill their potential. A lot of attention goes to who will be the next leader of the business, and appropriately so. But there is another area in which leadership can bring great value to the family – the role of “family champion.”
Family champions are visionary catalysts who invest energy into the family-business system to support and develop the family-ownership advantage. Ultimately, family champions create champion families dedicated to stewarding the business for future success. Champion families share seven key areas that they have intentionally developed, and we will explore these foundational elements of their success.
During this webinar, Joshua Nacht, Ph.D. and Greg Greenleaf will share insights and stories inspired from their new book Family Champions and Champion Families: Developing Family Leaders to Sustain the Family Enterprise. Key topics include:
- The unique characteristics and development of family champions
- How these leaders positively impact family harmony and continuity
- Common traits among successful champion families
- Ideas to start encouraging championship elements within your family
This free, one-hour recording includes Q&A at the end.
“This book opens new ground in the story of the success of multi-generational family business. Its focus is on the nature of innovative and resilience energy in the family, and how it often flows not from top to bottom, or from the old to the new. It is often the spirit and dedication of the newer ‘rising’ generations that fuels productive change and renewal. Through case studies that highlight the authors’ research, this book shows how families invest in innovation by investing in the human resources of each new generation.” Dennis Jaffe, Ph.D., Family Advisor, Wise Counsel Research
Family Champions and Champion Families offers clear examples, practical tips and specific advice to start working on championship elements in your family. Each chapter ends with questions for you to consider, based on the material you’ve just read, to stimulate your thinking about championship ideas and issues related to your situation. The wisdom from these winning families and their stories can guide you around common obstacles and provide inspiration to your business family, regardless of its size or complexity. To learn more or order…
- Family Champions: Energy for Success
- Building a Foundation for Multigeneration Success: How Enterprising Families Become Champion Families
- Developing Tomorrow’s Leaders
- Family Business Education for the Next Generation
- Family Ingathering, Family Business Magazine
- Developing Next-Generation Leaders in Family Business
- Building Family Harmony Starts with Living Our Values
- Shared Vision and Effective Next-Generation Leaders: Two Sides of the Same Coin
You can also access hundreds of in-depth articles written by our team that address the unique challenges faced by family enterprises from communication and conflict to succession and continuity. Visit our Article Library.
- Family Wealth Continuity: Building a Foundation for the Future
- Developing Family Business Policies: Your Guide to the Future
- Family Business Ownership: How to Be an Effective Shareholder
Do You Have a Leadership Development Plan in Place?
We can help. Leadership of any business is difficult. But leadership in a family business is a far different challenge than leadership in any other kind of business. Our consultant team helps rising and established family business leaders hone their leadership capabilities as well as balance the shifting and sometimes conflicting needs of the business and the family. Contact us to learn how your family can develop best-in-class leadership teams.