Areas of Expertise
- Transition of Leadership and Ownership
- Building Alignment
- Conflict Resolution
- Leadership Development
Communication is the foundation for all effective work in a family business.
- Leveling Up Your Family Business Board
- Aligning the Family Enterprise: Should We Meet In-Person or Virtually?
- Getting into the Horizontal Box: Aligning Family Business Owners
- Three Key Conversations for Sibling Partnerships to Succeed in Succession
- What Comes First: Entitlement or Enablement?
- Welcoming the Next Generation into the Family Enterprise
- The Family Business is Not a Life Sentence
- Back to the Future – of Your Family Business
A Principal Consultant with The Family Business Consulting Group, Inc., David has more than 25 years’ experience consulting to families, individuals and companies. He helps them develop better communication and build alignment across senior management teams and ownership groups. His client work is focused on executing the transition of ownership and leadership, professional development, conflict resolution, strategic planning and forming family and business governance structures.
David’s interest in family business consulting began with his course work in family business dynamics at the Cambridge Center for Creative Enterprise. He honed his work by helping corporate executives develop superior listening and communication skills through professional training in executive team building, strategic decision making, managing people, matrix management and performance enhancement.
Prior to working with The Family Business Consulting Group, David worked in his own family business consulting practice for eight years with his father Paul. The father-son team are the authors of So You’re in the Family Business: A Guide to Sustainability. In addition, he served as vice president of marketing for a software startup where he helped launch the company and raise over $10 million in funding. David also served at EMC Corporation for eight years, holding various corporate roles, including managing operations for worldwide marketing.
David’s been a guest speaker internationally and is a former mentor to MBA students at Northeastern University’s Graduate School of Business. He currently serves on their Marketing Career Track Advisory Board. He’s a founding member and former chair of the Boston chapter of the Young Presidents’ Organization’s Young Adult Forum, member of the Family Firm Institute, member of the Board of Directors of the Rogers Foam Corporation, and a former member of the Executive Board of Directors for the Men’s Associates at Hebrew SeniorLife.
- Family Firm Institute Fellow
- Family Firm Institute Family Wealth Advising
- Family Firm Institute Family Business Advising
- Family Firm Institute Advanced Family Business Advising
David is a graduate of Bowdoin College and received his Ed.M. in Counseling Psychology from Boston University and his MBA from Northeastern University.
David, his wife Jennifer, and their two children reside in Framingham, Massachusetts. In addition to being a proud husband and father, he’s also a photographer, hiker, skier and avid golfer.