Areas of Expertise
- Transition of Leadership and Ownership
- Building Alignment
- Conflict Resolution
- Leadership Development
Communication is the foundation for all effective work in a family business.
- How Leading Families Make Critical Ownership Decisions
- Selling For Success: Sometimes the Best Thing for the Family is Letting Go
- Here’s What Happens When You’re All In: Part 2
- If You’re Not All In, You’re Not in at All: Part 1￼
- Boards and Family Business: What Could Go Wrong?
- Leveling Up Your Family Business Board
- Aligning the Family Enterprise: Should We Meet In-Person or Virtually?
- Getting into the Horizontal Box: Aligning Family Business Owners
- Three Key Conversations for Sibling Partnerships to Succeed in Succession
- What Comes First: Entitlement or Enablement?
- Welcoming the Next Generation into the Family Enterprise
- The Family Business is Not a Life Sentence
- Back to the Future – of Your Family Business
David Karofsky is a principal consultant with The Family Business Consulting Group specializing in advising family businesses around the challenges and opportunities inherent to the family business. His client work is focused on building alignment around communication, executing the transition of ownership and leadership, conflict resolution, strategic planning and forming governance structures for family businesses.
His interest in family business consulting was launched with his course work in family business dynamics at the Cambridge Center for Creative Enterprise. David’s work helping corporate executives develop superior listening and communication skills was honed by his professional training in executive team building, strategic decision making, effective communication, managing people, matrix management, and performance enhancement.
Prior to working with The Family Business Consulting Group, David worked in his own family business consulting practice with his father for eight years. The father-son team are the authors of So You’re in the Family Business: A Guide to Sustainability. In addition, David was vice president of marketing for a software start-up where he helped launch the company and raise over $10 million in funding. David also served at EMC Corporation for eight years holding various corporate roles including managing operations for worldwide marketing.
The recipient of multiple achievement awards, David has been a guest speaker internationally and is a mentor to current and former MBA students at Northeastern University’s Graduate School of Business and serves on the Marketing Career Track Advisory Board. He is a founding member and former chair of the Boston chapter of the Young Presidents’ Organization’s Young Adult Forum, member of the Family Firm Institute where he holds certificates in Family Wealth and Advanced Family Business Advising with Fellow status, member of the Board of Directors of the Rogers Foam Corporation and a former member of the Executive Board of Directors for the Men’s Associates at Hebrew Senior Life.
- Family Firm Institute Fellow
- Family Firm Institute Family Wealth Advising
- Family Firm Institute Family Business Advising
- Family Firm Institute Advanced Family Business Advising
David is a graduate of Bowdoin College and received his Ed.M. in Counseling Psychology from Boston University and his MBA from Northeastern University.
David, his wife Jennifer, and their two children reside in Framingham, Massachusetts. In addition to being a proud husband and father, he’s also a photographer, hiker, skier and avid golfer.