Otis W. Baskin
Areas of Expertise
- Decision-making Solutions
What’s rewarding for me is helping family businesses get past the things that get in the way of their own success.
- Family Businesses Need Legal Documents that Go Beyond Estate Plans
- The Family Director Guide: How to be Effective Inside and Out of the Boardroom
- Good Governance for Family and Business Success
- Forming an Effective Family Business Board: Advisory vs. Fiduciary
- Developing a Winning Strategy for Family and Business: The Parallel Planning Process
- Conflict in Land-Based Family Businesses
- Governance Beats Avoidance for Long-Term Family Business Harmony
- Preparing the Board for a Non-Family CEO
- Developing Tomorrow’s Leaders
- Effective Leadership in the Family Business
Otis W. Baskin
A founding member of FBCG, Otis has worked with family-owned businesses, family foundations and family offices in the United States, Europe, Asia and Latin America for more than 25 years. His primary expertise is in helping business-owning families develop plans for leadership succession, development of next generation leaders, and family/ownership structures and decision making processes.
Otis has spoken on various topics to many organizations including the Family Firm Institute (U.S.), the Family Business Network (Europe), The Conference Board (Mexico) and The World Knowledge Forum (Korea). He also hosted a nationally televised series on entrepreneurship for PBS: “Were in Business.”
Otis is Emeritus Professor of management and former Dean at The Graziadio School of Business at Pepperdine University where he had complete P&L responsibility for a $50 million annual revenue enterprise. His academic career included positions as Dean of the Fogelman College of Business and Economics at The University of Memphis; Director of the School of Management at Arizona State University, West Campus; Coordinator of the management faculty at the University of Houston – Clear Lake. He was the founding director of the Family Business Forum at The University of Memphis; Visiting Professor for Family Business at ITESM (Monterrey Tech), Mexico, and Visiting Scholar in Family Business at Oxford University, England.
He has served on several boards, including the board of directors of EMRISE Corp. where he chaired the Compensation committee and was a member of the Audit committee; the board of directors of the Los Angeles Development Corporation; and the Durham Foundation Board where he chaired the Finance committee.
- Board of Directors for Sigma Iota Epsilon, the honor society of the Academy of Management
- Board of Directors of The California Coast World Affairs Council
- Editorial Review Board of the Family Business Review
- Academic Advisory Board, The University of Dubai
- Special Advisor to the President of Nagoya University, Japan
- System Dynamics for Senior Managers, MIT Sloan School of Management, 2002
- Certificate of Director Education from the National Association of Corporate Directors, 2007
- Masters Professional Director Certification from the American College of Corporate Directors, 2012
- Ph.D. The University of Texas at Austin
- M.A. University of Houston-University Park
- B.A. Oklahoma Christian University
Otis and his wife Maryan live in San Antonio Texas, where they’re active in church and community life. They enjoy traveling and staying in contact with their many friends around the globe.