Kent B. Rhodes, Ed.D.
Areas of Expertise
- Communication & Conflict
- Succession & Continuity Planning
- Leadership Development
- Organizational Development
- Six Keys to Successful Family Foundation Creation
- Predictable Yet Not Inevitable: Archetypes of Potential Conflicts in the Family Enterprise
- Unsticking Succession: Common Obstacles and a Path Forward
- Conflict in Land-Based Family Businesses
- The Competitive Advantage of Culture in a Family Business
- Using the Ladder of Inference in Managing Conflicts
- Emotional Ownership
- The Status Effect: How Ego Plays Out in Family Firms
- Putting Coaching to Work in the Family Business
- Culture is Key in Family Firm Mergers and Acquisitions
- Keeping Conflict in Play or at Bay? Old Habits Play a Role in Family Business
- Managing Conflict in the Family Business: Understanding Challenges at the Intersection of Family and Business
Kent B. Rhodes, Ed.D.
Senior consultant Kent Rhodes is a leading expert in the field of conflict management in family-owned businesses. He brings firsthand experience equipping executives and sibling/cousin management teams with leadership skills that build value, reduce discord and leverage personal capacities for success. He works with some of the most successful family-owned companies in the world, helping them plan for change and implement ownership and management continuity strategies.
Kent also maintains a successful executive coaching practice for a variety of privately held and family-owned enterprises, both domestically and internationally. A politically savvy guide, Kent is an Organizational Development expert who cultivates emotional, social and business intelligence, helping senior-level leaders become more effective. He’s lead author of Managing Conflict in the Family Business: Understanding Challenges at the Intersection of Family and Business, published by Palgrave-Macmillan.
Kent founded and served as Chief Executive Officer of OnCourse Network, Inc., an Internet Education Company. He negotiated the sale of the company to a Silicon Valley publicly traded corporation and subsequently, served as managing director with that company in San Jose, California until successfully completing its acquisition and integration growth strategies in 2001.
In addition to consulting, Kent serves as core faculty with Pepperdine University’s Doctoral Programs in Organization Leadership and the Master of Science in Organization Development. He served as an Ombudsman for Pepperdine for more than a decade and is a guest lecturer for the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution with the Pepperdine School of Law in Malibu, the Institute for Conflict Management with Lipscomb University in Nashville, Tennessee and numerous Family Business Centers across the U.S.
- Doctorate in Organizational Leadership, Pepperdine University
- Master of Education in Counseling, Texas Tech University
Kent has a unique appreciation of the links between personal development, giving back to the community and fulfillment in life and work. He serves as a member of the Board of Directors for several organizations, including Shanti OC, an AIDS services organization based in Orange County, California, and Lamukani, a community-based organization in Kenya that focuses on sustainable crop and water source development.
Raised in Lubbock, Texas, Kent currently makes his home in Orange County, California.