When planning for succession in a family business, one critical piece that can often be overlooked is the exiting leader’s personal plans for retirement. Stephanie Brun de Pontet addresses this challenge in her new book, Transitioning from the Top, and joins us for this free webinar to share wisdom and stories from retired family business CEOs she interviewed for the book about their transition away from the day to day leadership of their enterprises.
In addition to relaying ideas on how these hard-charging individuals continue to find challenges and purpose that motivate them, Stephanie will describe some tools and provide tips to help leaders at any age prepare themselves for this important transition.
Participants in this webinar will hear more about:
- Why planning for the future can be particularly challenging for successful family business leaders,
- How effective planning benefits the individual leader, the family, the business, and the community,
- Stories of successful transitions and how other CEOs overcame common challenges, and
- A model for planning for the future that considers all of these factors and prepares you for a rewarding transition.
Transitioning from the Top: Personal Continuity Planning for the Retiring Family Business Leader by Stephanie Brun de Pontet, Ph.D.
The book draws extensively on the experiences of more than a dozen former family business leader interviewees. These highly driven and accomplished business leaders share stories and lessons from their own personal continuity journey as they transitioned from the top of their companies. Combining these anecdotes with knowledge from years of consulting and research, Stephanie takes an in-depth look at the dynamics and challenges for leaders in transition and the systems around them, to deliver insights on sources of difficulty and tips and tools for effective planning. For more information…
- Family Business Succession: Your Roadmap to Continuity
- Family Business Succession: The Final Test of Greatness
- Letting Go: Preparing Yourself to Relinquish Control of the Family Business
- Family Wealth Continuity: Building a Foundation for the Future
- Leading a Family Business: Best Practices for Long-Term Stewardship
Articles and Assessment
- From Leadership to….? Planning for a meaningful future when you are no longer at the helm
- How-to on “Semi-Retirement”
- You Don’t Have to Retire (But is Hanging On Worth the Price?)
- Please Welcome to the Stage, in their New Role…
- Unsticking Succession: Common Obstacles and a Path Forward
- Role Complexity Assessment: Complete Online or Download Print Version
Do You Have a Succession Plan?
We can help. Succession planning is an ongoing process that includes critical decisions as well as careful planning and preparation. Our consultants can design a custom plan that aligns with your family’s values, builds a strong foundation for future business success, prepares successors for increased leadership and ownership responsibilities, and creates a seamless transition to the next generation and beyond.