Registration is closed for this program.
Effective family business boards harness the energy and commitment of key family members as stewards of the business and its legacy. Yet, many family directors receive little formal governance training and may feel challenged separating their role as a board director from the role they play in the family, ownership or management teams. As the business and the board changes, family directors are asked to grow and build new skills, which happens best with a plan, process and investment in developing human capital.
Family Director Essentials is a virtual live training experience that lays the groundwork for family directors to develop their own skills while gaining an understanding of how effective boards work. The program is designed to lead participants through learning, sharing and planning to add value inside and outside of the boardroom.
In this program, family directors will learn the frameworks and concepts that will support their full contribution to the company’s strategy and long-term planning while best leveraging the perspectives they uniquely bring.
This highly interactive experience is designed to help develop participants through engaging content, peer discussions and real-world case studies. Attendees will also connect and learn from the successes and challenges of other families in an open, confidential environment — fully supported throughout the program by expert facilitators.
Over the course of the program, participants will focus on:
- The role of the board (advisory or fiduciary) in a family business
- Effective board function, including the board’s relationship with the family and management
- The specific value of family directors, independents, the chair, and committees and how to leverage those strengths
- The behaviors that make a family director effective in the boardroom
- Key skills and knowledge that family directors should have and/or develop
- Navigating the unique tensions that family directors experience
Participants will also receive materials that support their learning and can be used as resources for their boards.
Who Should Attend
This program is designed for family members in a multi-generational family business who are current or potential future board directors for their family enterprise. This program may be especially valuable for:
- Family directors who are either new to their role or looking for fresh ideas to further their development
- Family members considering joining the board of directors
- Board leaders (especially chairs, vice chairs, governance committee members) seeking to build board effectiveness
- Family owners in the beginning phase of establishing a functioning board, growing or changing the board structure, or adding independent directors to their board
The program would be a good option for families who want to efficiently share common governance approaches with a group of family members/directors. We welcome groups of up to five attendees per family.
To ensure all attendees derive optimum value from the program, attendance is restricted to 80 attendees and is subject to approval by conference organizers.
If you would like to discuss the program and whether it is a good fit for you, please contact Kristi Daeda at (773) 784-5008 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
$1750 – 1 board representative
$1550 for each additional member (up to 5 per family)
Please refer all registration questions to Karen King at (773) 663-4041 or Karen@thefbcg.com.