Getting Started with Board Governance is a one-day, virtual program to support family businesses on the road to effective corporate governance. Led by experienced leaders, consultants and directors, this program is for any family member, family business leader or director who wants to understand the fundamentals of high-functioning family business boards, and any family that wants to learn more about how to get started building a high-performing board.
What You’ll Learn
Through a mix of presentations and discussions with faculty and other participants, we’ll cover:
- Why Would I Want a Board?
Discover the compelling reasons why leaders and families invest in formalizing or advancing their governance processes.
- Structuring High-Performing Boards
Understand key governance practices, terminology and the unique opportunities and dynamics of boards in family firms. Learn about by-laws, charters, committees, nomination and election of directors, and other important aspects of board and process design.
- Board Composition and Talent
Leverage the right mix of family, executive and independent directors by defining the skills and behaviors needed for a dynamic and strategic board. Find out how to source, select and onboard independent directors who can drive success for your family enterprise.
- A Successful Launch: Your First Year with the New Board
Set the stage for success through effectively orienting directors to your business and the people in it. Walk through the cycle of preparing for and conducting effective meetings and maintaining momentum between meetings.
Who Should Attend
This program is designed for family members and non-family executives who are looking for an overview of the issues unique to family business boards in the context of board best practices, and may be especially valuable for:
- Current or future family directors who are new to governance concepts,
- Family members and non-family executives who are contemplating changes to their board structure, including formalizing, adding committees, or welcoming independent directors,
- Leaders preparing for generational transition who would like to understand how a board might support the future of the business
- Family members involved in family governance seeking a better understanding of the role of the board and its interactions with other systems.
- This session would also be an appropriate part of a family business educational curriculum as an overview to board governance.
We welcome groups of up to four per family. To ensure all attendees best benefit from the program, attendance is restricted to 75 attendees and is subject to approval by conference organizers.
Our Virtual Delivery Model Format
FBCG’s virtual educational programs are designed to be interactive and energizing through a mix of presentations, group engagement, small- and large-group discussion, and supplemental learning materials. Most attendees will participate in the entire session live and meet with other family business leaders on-camera to build community and new connections during the session. High speed internet is recommended.
For those who cannot join live, recordings of main stage sessions will be made available for 30 days after the program. Small group discussions cannot be recorded.
“The virtual programming was HIGHLY efficient. Love the no travel. You kept my full attention. Frequency of breaks was just right so there was no Zoom fatigue.” Phil Ryan, Worthen Industries
- $525 includes instruction, downloadable resources and recordings of main stage sessions
Please refer all registration questions to Sierra Moen at Sierra@thefbcg.com or (773) 661-4417.
If you would like to discuss the program and whether it is a good fit for you, please contact Kristi Daeda at email@example.com or (773) 784-5008.