Conflict is a natural component of family relationships, and it affects family enterprises in several ways. Many families benefit from the healthy expression of disagreement and managing conflict proactively. Still, others struggle with conflict that may originate from years before and continues to impede the family’s ability to make business decisions or enjoy their family relationships.
Presenter Amy Wirtz does not shy away from conflict. For over 25 years, she has focused her career on helping families resolve complex issues as a collaborative lawyer, mediator, exit-planning advisor, and family business consultant.
During this interactive webinar, Amy shares effective methods for handling difficult conversations and family dynamics. Topics include how to:
- Separate issues from emotions
- Improve active listening skills
- Approach difficult subjects with a five-step process
- Move forward from an emotional disagreement
- Deal with difficult people
This webinar recording is one hour long.
- Handout: A Difficult Conversation Checklist
- Using the Ladder of Inference in Managing Conflicts
- How to Manage Chronic Conflict in Your Family Enterprise
- Undiscussables: Dealing with the Elephants in Family Business
- Predictable Yet Not Inevitable: Archetypes of Potential Conflicts in the Family Enterprise
- Delivering a Difficult Message: Performance Feedback in a Family Business
- From Partners by Chance to Partners by Choice: The 7 Cs of Trust-based Partnerships
You can also access hundreds of in-depth articles written by our team that address the unique challenges faced by family enterprises from communication and conflict to succession and continuity. Visit our Article Library.
- Difficult Conversations: How to Discuss What Matters Most
- BIFF: Quick Responses to High-Conflict People, Their Personal Attacks, Hostile Email and Social Media Meltdowns
- Transitioning from the Top: Personal Continuity Planning for the Retiring Family Business Leader
- Family Wealth Continuity: Building a Foundation for the Future
- Siblings and the Family Business: Making it Work for Business, the Family, and the Future
- Family Business Succession: Your Roadmap to Continuity